Thursday, February 25, 2010

Facing Fears, Drowning and Perfect Teachers

I have tortured Emmett and myself in summers past by making him take swimming lessons. He really hated every minute of these and never has gotten use to the idea of going under water. Even though he will play in the water in a hotel or something like that he hates it when you actually try to teach him to swim for fear you will make him dive in or just go under water.

So I knew when I saw the flyer come home from school, about two days at the community pool teaching them water safety, that we were probably going to go to battle about the water again. He did try to get out of it for a long time. But I assured him that they wouldn't make him do anything he REALLY didn't want to do. But I was hoping he would feel a little peer pressure to try new things and join in the fun. I worried that I should go with him and I worried that it would be worse if I were there. I finally opted not to go and sent him on his way hoping he would face his fear and go under water and actually like it.

He came home the first day and said
"Well I had a little bit fun but I am NOT going again," very casually.
I asked him why not and he said he drowned two times. I said
"Wow really two times, did they jump in and save you?"
"Well no, I just drowned a little" he said.
I tried to get the story out of him (knowing it was not nearly as bad as he was saying) but as always with him it's hard to get him to stay on one story line to get all the info. He was pretty calm about it but by bedtime he was still very sure he was not going back.
"I will just stay at the school while my class goes, Mom" he said.
The next morning he was very upset that I was making him go back. He wouldn't even get ready for school.

So I went into school early to talk to his teacher thinking I might have to go with him this time. She was so great, let me just say here how much I LOVE Emmett's teacher, Mrs. Bair. She is the perfect teacher for him. She said right away that he did have a hard time. She said she could see it on his face. She said she stood on the side of the pool right by him and his partner and encouraged him. She said things to him every good mother would say to their kid when they are scared. I was so grateful in that moment that she was there and was able to help him. She has always been able to "read" him and help him in the right way. She laughed when I told her what he said about the day before and put in all into perspective. She told me he had to go swimming again and that I shouldn't go. She also said she would break the news to him herself.

He came home that day and said
"Mom I will tell you what I had, I had a blast!"
"That's great Emmett, what was different?"
He said "Well I didn't drown and I faced my fear."
He even went under the water, bobbing he called it. He said the canoe was the best part and he was so glad he went.

I love when someone else can make such a difference in my kids life for the better. And I am so happy Emmett is finally trying new things

8 comments:

  1. WOWOWOWOWOW!!! Good job Emmett! We LOVE Mrs. Bair too! She is pretty incredible!

    Tell Emmett that Cate was nervous too, but she was glad she went as well! She loved riding the bus, something she wont' get to do much of while we live her in Calico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Hooray for great teachers! Joshua was nervous too and loved it today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to know that there are great teachers out there! Too much of the time we only hear the negative about teachers and education in general. I am always excited about what Tyler learns at school that I can't get through to him myself. I swear there are some truly gifted people out there!

    We need to have Connor over next week. I will talk to ya Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Emmett! So glad his teacher was sensitive to his needs. We need more of her kind in the school system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is funny because I have been thinking about your post all day long. After I commented this morning I realized that you are one of those teachers that gets through to my child! Tyler knows a lot of answers in FHE or just when we are talking about different church stories that I didn't teach him. The other night I was telling him about Joseph Smith. I was telling him about when he prayed in the woods and I edited the part about Satan since he was just about to go to sleep and I didn't want him to be scared. He then corrected me and said that I forgot the part about the bad guy coming. Anyway, I was a little shocked that this story was not new to him. I am just grateful he has AWESOME sunbeam teachers that make him excited to come every week and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love how he said he drowned 2 times. classic. wow, she sounds like an amazing teacher!! yay for that! emmett is so cute, glad he faced his fear... must be a good feeling as a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so great! I am so glad he was able to face his fear and come out with a positive experience. So great as a mother to see your child grow and overcome obstacles. Your a great family! Candace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maryann,
    I love how you posted quotes from Grandma (and Marilyn) But mostly grandma. She never told me that (at least not that I remember). Grandma was great. I miss her. I'm glad Emmett has a good teacher. Matt has a good teacher, but I am starting to get worried. He keeps calling me "Mrs. Fox"

    ReplyDelete