Thursday, August 26, 2010

a few of the things i love

I think just for fun (mostly for myself) I will add a few of the OTHER things I love to this blog.  I still love to post about my kids and family but there are lots of other things I would love to write about. My two favorite things to do are read and eat, seriously I could survive on those two things.  I love to discuss what I read, whether I love it or hate it and whether anyone else should read it.  I love to eat, but only particular things.  I love trying new recipes and I think I'll share a few of those here.  I'll try to take pictures, but a photographer, I am not.  Also this past year I have found that I love to sew, thanks to my Grandma's old Bernina.  I am NOT great at this and can mostly sew straight lines, but with a great pattern, straight lines can turn into something great... I think. I also love gardening, but you know, this year my garden REALLY stinks and half my flowers didn't grow so I won't be mentioning those things.   So....

The Best Green Beans!

Last night after Madey picked some of the green beans from my garden (one of two items that actually grew) I wanted to do something different with them for dinner.  So after looking up recipes online I saw a few that said just to boil them with new potatoes.  I have never had them this way and it sounded interesting.  I happened to have 10 small new potatoes from the vegetable stand on Yellowstone Hwy, left on my counter from several nights ago.  Amazing!  I never have ingredients laying around that I actually need.  
So here's what I did.


1. Diced up 8 small new potatoes.
2. Boiled them in salted water until I could stick a fork in them easily.
3. Added the large handful of fresh green beans to the potatoes.
4. Continued to boil until green beans were barely tender.
5. Drained them.
6. Added a large tablespoon of soft butter and sour cream.
7. Added a splash of vinegar (I used apple cider)
8. Added a splash of worchestshire sauce and Salt and Pepper.
9. Stirred until everything was covered (It was just a light coating of sauce).


And we DEVOURED it!  The green beans and potatoes were so delicious, I am going to make them again this weekend. We finished them off today for lunch.  Even my picky eater, Emmett, loved them and he dislikes most vegetables as a rule. I thought since green beans are in season you might like to try it too.  You wont be sorry!  It was Yummy.  I wish I had a picture because it was pretty too.
LOVE fresh vegetables!

3 comments:

  1. I still say we should start a book club! I would totally be in. Then we could combine reading and eating and it would be a fantastic time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! you are an amazing cook... i keep forgetting to ask you for the recipe for those chocolate cupcakes you brought me after i had drake. those were sooo delish.

    also i finished 'the help' and can't believe i forgot to mention it when i saw you this week... we must discuss!! i too loved it! i love books that make you think! i agree with jessie, we should start our own book club and invite whoever wants to join us. we could take turns bringing something foody to share. i love that idea. let's make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you I also love to read and of course eat yummy food. That green bean recipe sounds AMAZING!

    SO right now I am going to start mockingjay. Have you read the catching fire series. Its a must!

    Also like Jessie I would love to join a book club.

    ReplyDelete